The Barr Colonists came with a rather romanticized notion of the “wild west”. They brought with them in 1903 a vast quantity of firearms and used them liberally, shooting everything from antelope to gophers and vultures. Individuals in the photo have not been identified.
The Britannia Rifle Association was formed in 1903 with H. B. Hall and William Rendell among its early leaders. By 1912 it had over 100 members. A Ladies Rifle Club was formed in 1916 with 14 members, among them some well-known Lloydminster names such as: Cooke, Crossley, Aston, and Philpott.
By 1922, trap shooting was popular and many locals, including: Dr. Lindley, Archie Miller, H. B. Hall, and Ivan Crossley were involved. The club was renamed the Lloydminster Gun Club - with a focus on trap and skeet shooting. Ammunition was scarce during World War II and the Club discontinued but in 1957 it was formally revived with the support of the Lloydminster Fish and Game League. A 6 acre lot was purchased from the Anglican Diocese along Highway 17 6 miles south of town. A Club House and shooting range were constructed and a new generation was introduced to competitive shooting.
Above: Brian Sheppard, a member of the Lloydminster Gun Club, won the Canadian Trap Shooting Doubles Championship in 1987, 1988 and 1994.